Seeking American Sign Language Users for Education Videos, Any Gender and Ethnicity appearing aged high school to adult
We’re casting performers in multiple on-camera roles for a series of assessment videos for high school learners of American Sign Language (ASL) for ACTFL.
To be considered for one of these roles, the performer must:
- Be a highly fluent user of ASL (including clear sign production and able to be readily understood by users and learners of ASL).
- Deaf and hard of hearing performers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Be able to sign both simple and complex ASL passages. Written English passages will be provided along with ASL glossing, notes, and videos.
- Be available for rehearsal(s) with an ASL expert who will help guide you. The ASL expert will also be on set during filming.
- Be comfortable in front of a camera and be able to take direction from a language expert.
- Be friendly, approachable, and engaging on camera. (Theatrical or acting background is not necessary, but helpful.)
- Any gender and ethnicity is welcome.
ROLE 1: Video Chat Partner (high school aged)
- The performer will sign a passage of ASL that simulates a video conversation between themselves and a student who is learning the language.
- Performer who appears to be between the ages of 15-18 (young adults who appear to be high school age may qualify for the high school role).
ROLE 2: Information Signer (adult)
- The performers will sign passages in ASL for a video which test takers will watch in order to answer sets of questions.
- Adult performers 18 years of age or older.
ROLE 3: Teacher (adult)
- The performer will sign passages in ASL for a video that simulates a teacher giving instructions to the test taker.
- Adult performer 18 years of age or older.
DATES & LOCATION:
- Filming dates: you will be scheduled for filming between January 29, 2024 – February 9, 2024.
- Exact scheduling to be determined closer to the filming dates.
- Filming will be in person in Alexandria, VA. Applicants in the D.C./Baltimore/Richmond areas are preferred.
- Health and safety protocols may be implemented as needed in order to comply with guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- Each Role: $900 for up to nine hours of in-person filming and a 90-minute rehearsal via Zoom.
- The performers are required to practice the script on their own prior to the scheduled filming date.
- Theatrical permits are required for actors under the age of 16. Parents must fill out and mail the appropriate forms. Instructions on the process will be provided.
- For actors under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must sign a permission form in advance, be present during a one-hour rehearsal via ZOOM, and be present during the in-person filming.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name
- Your current age
- The city and state in which you live
- Role for which you would like to audition. May apply for multiple roles, if desired.
- How you learned about this opportunity.
- If under 18, please include your parent or guardian on the email.
Please do not send photos at this time. Any photos or videos submitted before we request them will not be considered. If a role is still available, we will reply with additional information.